SCHOOL COUNSELOR OF THE YEAR
It is time to submit your nominations for the annual CASC DONALD G. HAYS SCHOOL COUNSELOR OF THE YEAR AWARD. Winners will be recognized at the annual CASC Conference, which will be held at the Riverside Convention Center on October 29-30, 2020.
The CASC School Counselor of the Year (SCOY) will be put forth as the ASCA SCOY nominee and must be willing to submit the national application for the ASCA SCOY. A requirement for ASCA SCOY is recognition at the state level first. Additionally, the CASC SCOY will be an ex officio board member of CASC from October 2020 through December, 31, 2021.
Nominations must be received by March 15, 2020
Candidates must submit final applications by April 15, 2020 (excluding video)
The time has come to nominate those special individuals in the field of school counseling that have contributed so much to our profession. Recognitions highlight the achievements and accomplishments of our dedicated and hard-working colleagues. Awards will be given out at the CASC Annual Conference on October 29-30, 2020. There are four CASC annual awards.
ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR
The Administrator of the Year is a practicing school administrator who provides exceptional guidance and leadership and who is closely involved with achieving excellence in the area of student support, especially school counseling.
COUNSELOR EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
- The nominee must be currently employed as a full-time counselor educator for at least three years.
- The nominee must be a CASC member. Membership will be verified.
- Three (3) letters of support from current or past students/supervisees, colleagues or mentees must be part of the nomination package for this award.
- The activities or accomplishments referenced in the application must have taken place within the last five years.
The nominee may qualify for this award by demonstrating evidence of the implementation of the ASCA National Model and any of the following:
a) Outstanding and innovative teaching
b) Outstanding advisement and/or mentorship
c) Creating an innovative school counseling education program
d) Record of scholarly activities as evidenced by submissions to state or national counseling journals or presentations at conferences
e) Outstanding service in the community
COUNSELOR ADVOCATE AWARD
A Counselor Advocate demonstrates exemplary advocacy through long-term support for school counseling in California through:
- Evidence of advocacy work with and for school counselors, or
- Evidence of programs, institutions or publications that support school counselors, or
- Evidence of providing unique professional counseling service, or has developed a school counseling program that is proven to be effective, or
- Evidence of providing leadership in the area of school counselor education, or
- Evidence of demonstrating exceptional leadership to school counseling.
LEGISLATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
A Legislator of the Year is a legislator who has contributed to the advancement of school counseling in California by sponsoring pertinent legislation to benefit California’s students.
- Evidence of support for the school counseling profession through the legislative process
HOW TO NOMINATE A CANDIDATE
Nomination letters for CASC Annual Awards must include:
- Name, address, and office telephone number of nominee;
- Reasons you believe this person merits this recognition;
- Give specific details for each criterion, emphasizing those factors that make your nominee truly exceptional, a maximum of 500 words;
- Acknowledgment from the nominee granting permission to be nominated;
- Three (3) letters of support (see additional requirements for Counselor Educator of the Year).
- Resume required for all nominees.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATION LETTER AND EVIDENCE DOCUMENTS ON OR BEFORE March 15, 2020 https://casc.schoolcounselorawards.org/scoy/ Make sure to click on “Other Awards” to submit your nomination and documentation.